GOLD VERMEIL-PLATED JEWELRY
- What Is Gold Vermeil Plating? Gold vermeil is jewelry is made of a sterling silver base metal that has been chemically electroplated to bind a thin layer of 18-karat or 24-karat gold to the surface of the metal giving the jewelry a beautiful highly reflective gold-tone finish.
- Electroplating Process. Using electroplated chemical bath we bind a thin layer of microscopic ions of gold metal to the surface of the base metal.
- How Long Will The Plating Last? Please note that the gold plating is a surface treatment and may wear off over time revealing the underlying base metal. The lifespan of the plating depends on how the piece is worn and cared for. We advise that you remove your plated jewelry and store in a soft lined jewelry box when doing any type of manual activities to avoid scratching or damage to the plating.
- Wear With Extra Care. Plated jewelry is delicate and requires extra care. Please take care to keep your plated jewelry away from heat, abrasive surfaces, sharp objects that may cause scratching, as well as water and moisture. Always keep plated jewelry dry. Keep away from all liquids such as water, lotions, oils, perfumes, alcohol, acetone, hair products, and chemical cleaners, etc... Exposure to liquids can weaken, damage, and may eventually even remove the plated surface treatment.
- Is Gold Vermeil Jewelry Waterproof? NO. Always keep your plated jewelry dry. The gold plated finish is a fragile surface treatment and is not waterproof like solid gold jewelry. Plated jewelry should always be kept dry. Please do take off your plated jewelry before showering, going to the beach, pool or spa, washing dishes, exercising, etc... If you want waterproof jewelry, we recommend investing in 18-karat gold jewelry.
- Will Gold Vermeil Plating Tarnish? Plated jewelry may tarnish over time due to oxidation from normal exposure to air and the natural acids and oils on the surface of the skin - unfortunately this is normal wear. Only solid gold jewelry 14-karat gold and higher will not tarnish. You can however, can help prevent premature tarnishing by storing your gold vermeil jewelry in an airtight ziplock bag when not being worn. If you want jewelry that will never tarnish, we recommend investing in 18-karat gold jewelry.
- How Do I Clean My Gold Vermeil Plated Jewelry? Simply wipe clean with a soft dry, non-abrasive cloth to clean. Do not steam or use ultrasonic cleaners on plated jewelry. Do not polish your plated jewelry as this will remove the plating. Do not expose to water or other liquids such as hair products, makeup, lotions, and oils. Do not use cleaning chemicals.
- Store In Airtight Storage. Keep your plated jewelry stored in a dry airtight ziplock bag or inside an airtight jewelry box to help reduce tarnish.